There are some days when you don’t wake up jumping out of bed, skipping down the hall, and singing to class. There are some days when you just don’t feel that happy. I’ve had my fair share of those days lately and as I try to get my happy self back in happy shape, it’s been a bit of a challenge. Sometimes it’s the little things that add up to a lot of things. But I have to keep reminding myself that it’s okay to not feel great all the time, every day. I don’t even know if that’s healthy. An English teacher in high school once told our class, “What’s the joy of happiness if you’ve never experienced any sadness to know the difference?”
So if you haven’t been feeling your sunniest lately, or to plan ahead for those rainy days, here are some sunny suggestions for a little pick-me-up:
1. Talk to someone: Sometimes you just need to talk it out. When I can relate with people or they can with me, that sense of connection helps me get over what’s been bothering me.
2. Have a good cry: This probably applies more to girls than guys, but hey, I’m not judging.
3. Take a break: While it can be helpful to talk to people about how you may be feeling, sometimes it’s better to just be alone for a little while.
4. Write it out: Journaling can be extremely healing. Especially if you have something private that’s been bothering you, it’s a good way to vent without other people knowing all the details.
5. Keep hoping: Happiness will be on its way soon if you try to say optimistic!
Here’s to the happy days that are hopefully on their way soon!
The Sunny Girl, Lauren Cook