After visiting Washington D.C. for the week, I can safely say that Abraham Lincoln was by far my favorite president. As much as I admire George Washington, John F. Kennedy, and many other great presidents, I think Lincoln had a phenomenal sense of courage and hope that was outstanding for his era. As difficult as it was to start our nation, it was even more difficult to keep it together. And thanks to Lincoln, we are the UNITED States of America.
In honor of our 16th President, I thought I’d share some of my favorite quotes by him with all of you. I hope you enjoy!
1. Leave nothing for tomorrow which can be done today.
2. It is not merely for today, but for all time to come that we should perpetuate for our children’s children this great and free government, which we have enjoyed all our lives.
3. Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves.
4. God bless the women of America!
5. Upon the subject of education…I view it as the most important subject which we as a people can be engaged in.
6. If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage, nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage.
7. No man is good enough to govern another man without that other’s consent.
8. The better part of one’s life consists of his friendships.
9. I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have.
10. Fellow citizens, we cannot escape history.
May we strive to live like Lincoln.
The Sunny Girl, Lauren Cook