We all need laughter in our lives. It is the greatest way to cheer us up and it is an instant dose of happiness for the day. Our Sunny Star this week, Miranda Freeman, knows all about laughing. Her blog, http://askucla.tumblr.com/, specializes in comedy—especially for college students. I’m so excited to share her story with you and I hope you get your laugh in today!
1. You have a comedy blog called AskUCLA. How has this project added to your happiness and to your viewers?
There’s something incredibly satisfying about coming up with an idea and then seeing it through, and I really couldn’t be happier with how the whole thing turned out. As for the viewers, we’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback which I appreciate more than I can even say. I think it’s just fun to watch people be silly and uninhibited.
2. How does comedy adds to our happiness?
Comedy is such a huge part of being happy! A good laugh can turn a terrible day completely around, and a shared sense of humor will bond people in a way that nothing else can. In my opinion, it’s one of the best coping mechanisms we have.
3. What’s been viewers’ favorite video on the blog thus far?
The frat party video definitely got a fair amount of attention, as did the one about Twilight. We were actually asked those two questions a few times before we answered them, a fact I could use to negate the accusation that my generation has no priorities.
4. What has been your happiest memory from this experience?
My mom recently got back in touch with a friend she hasn’t spoken with in a very long time. He asked about my sister and I, and she suggested he watch an AskUCLA video if he wanted to see me. It turns out he had previously found one of our videos to use in a lecture for a college class he teaches in Utah, and started watching us regularly after that. It was the craziest coincidence, and I’m still amazed that such a small idea could end up reaching out so far.
5. It can be daunting to start a new blog or to make any idea become a reality. What advice do you have for people who are looking for the courage to pursue their ideas?